Tapestry Scaling

Ben Gidley
Administrator
Hi,

I thought it was worth posting an update on the launch of
http://www.seesaw.com/ - we launched the site to the public last month. The
site is a video on demand portal aimed at (only) the UK market. You can
watch on it recent and archive shows from BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5 and a
bunch of independent producers.

The site has seen a lot of visitors over its launch period (I am not allowed
to release actual stats) but Alexa shows us just as the 1200 most popular
site in the UK. Our load testing has shown the site scaling to 33
pages/second (the transactions/second is a lot higher if you include
images/javascript/css).

We are also very pleased with how our migration to Tapestry has worked out -
we have a lot of nice (reusable) components that gives our editorial team a
good degree of control over the site.

We are hoping the user base will now start to grow - as we are starting TV
advertising.

Ben Gidley

www.gidley.co.uk

Re: Tapestry Scaling

kaosko
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Ben Gidley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The site has seen a lot of visitors over its launch period (I am not allowed
> to release actual stats) but Alexa shows us just as the 1200 most popular
> site in the UK. Our load testing has shown the site scaling to 33
> pages/second (the transactions/second is a lot higher if you include
> images/javascript/css).

What's the benchmark system (mem, cpu) and is this mixed use with
database operations? Certainly you cannot extrapolate the results, but
just to give a rough idea of whether the test was done on a high-end
cluster or throttled down lab environment.

Kalle

Re: Tapestry Scaling

Ben Gidley
Administrator
The benchmarks were done on our production replica which is
nearly identical to   our live hardware.

The key parts of the system is
- Oracle on a large Sun Ultrasparc box
- 4 active app servers - each quad core with 32Gb ram
- 2 active ZXTM load balancers/caches

The load test is a mixed usage based on a complex model of expected user
journeys. The model allows for expected behaviour and caching on end users
browsers.

Most our load is on the caches/db. The application servers so far are doing
very little (it would run off 2). We have them for later phases where we
will be adding more interactive content.

Ben Gidley

www.gidley.co.uk
[hidden email]

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Kalle Korhonen
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Ben Gidley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The site has seen a lot of visitors over its launch period (I am not
> allowed
> > to release actual stats) but Alexa shows us just as the 1200 most popular
> > site in the UK. Our load testing has shown the site scaling to 33
> > pages/second (the transactions/second is a lot higher if you include
> > images/javascript/css).
>
> What's the benchmark system (mem, cpu) and is this mixed use with
> database operations? Certainly you cannot extrapolate the results, but
> just to give a rough idea of whether the test was done on a high-end
> cluster or throttled down lab environment.
>
> Kalle

Re: Tapestry Scaling

Chris Mylonas
Hi Ben,

This is very handy info - thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris Mylonas