Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Charles Roth-2
Apologies in advance if I'm posting this incorrectly (in which case I
welcome a link to any Tapestry-specific etiquette guide) -- my first
post to this list.

We are experimenting with upgrading from Tapestry 5.3.6 to 5.4.1, as
part of our move from Java 7 to Java 8.

The interface org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.MessageFormatter seems to have
disappeared.  Yet it is still listed, e.g. at
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tapestry/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/ioc/MessageFormatter.html

When I look at the ivy dependency details (org.apache.tapestry,
tapestry-ioc, rev 5.4.1), I see the jar tapestry-ioc-5.4.1.jar, but
package org.apache.tapestry5.ioc does not contain MessageFormatter.   If
I download the jar directly from
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tapestry/tapestry-ioc/5.4.1,
and look at it manually with "jar tvf", there's no MessageFormatter.

Has that interface been removed and replaced with something else? If so,
why would it still show up in the doc (1st link I referenced?)  Or am I
simply doing something stupid? :-)

TIA.

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

kaosko
Just the packaging has changed, add dependency to commons:

  <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
  <version>5.4.1</version>

Kalle

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies in advance if I'm posting this incorrectly (in which case I
> welcome a link to any Tapestry-specific etiquette guide) -- my first post
> to this list.
>
> We are experimenting with upgrading from Tapestry 5.3.6 to 5.4.1, as part
> of our move from Java 7 to Java 8.
>
> The interface org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.MessageFormatter seems to have
> disappeared.  Yet it is still listed, e.g. at
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tapestry/current/apidocs/org/
> apache/tapestry5/ioc/MessageFormatter.html
>
> When I look at the ivy dependency details (org.apache.tapestry,
> tapestry-ioc, rev 5.4.1), I see the jar tapestry-ioc-5.4.1.jar, but package
> org.apache.tapestry5.ioc does not contain MessageFormatter.   If I download
> the jar directly from http://mvnrepository.com/artif
> act/org.apache.tapestry/tapestry-ioc/5.4.1, and look at it manually with
> "jar tvf", there's no MessageFormatter.
>
> Has that interface been removed and replaced with something else? If so,
> why would it still show up in the doc (1st link I referenced?)  Or am I
> simply doing something stupid? :-)
>
> TIA.

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 22:32:45 -0300, Kalle Korhonen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just the packaging has changed, add dependency to commons:
>
>   <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
>   <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
>   <version>5.4.1</version>

This dependency should be already there due to the tapestry-ioc and
tapestry-core
packages already depending on the commons one. This class was just moved
unchanged
 from one subproject (JAR) to another, without any source code changes.

By the way, your post has nothing incorrect. It's on topic, describe the
issue
you're having well, absolutely nothing to complain. :) Welcome to the list
and keep posting! :D

http://machina.com.br

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Charles Roth-2

>> Just the packaging has changed, add dependency to commons:
>>
>>   <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
>>   <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
>>   <version>5.4.1</version>
>
> This dependency should be already there due to the tapestry-ioc and
> tapestry-core
> packages already depending on the commons one. This class was just
> moved unchanged
> from one subproject (JAR) to another, without any source code changes.
Thank you, and for the kind words of encouragement.

We're stuck at the moment with Ivy (not Maven), so the transitive
dependencies did not show up.  I had to ask here to find out about the
change (thanks everyone).   Is there some sort of tool (or website) that
will show (those of us still stuck in the dark ages :-) ) what the
actual dependency tree is?

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:20:27 -0300, Charles Roth <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you, and for the kind words of encouragement.

:)

> We're stuck at the moment with Ivy (not Maven), so the transitive
> dependencies did not show up.  I had to ask here to find out about the
> change (thanks everyone).

As far as I can remember, Ivy uses Maven repositories and does transitive
dependencies.

> Is there some sort of tool (or website) that will show (those of us
> still stuck in the dark ages :-) ) what the actual dependency tree is?

mvn dependency:tree. :D

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Ivano Luberti
Il 03/10/2016 18:50, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo ha scritto:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:20:27 -0300, Charles Roth <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> As far as I can remember, Ivy uses Maven repositories and does
> transitive dependencies.

well it seems they kind of discourage this practice...

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/m2comparison.html

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa