Remote debugging a Tapestry application

g kuczera
Hi everybody,
I wanted to speed up my work and try out the remote debugging from Eclipse.
It indeed works (I use jetty:run on localhost and then remote debugging
configuration from Eclipse), the breakpoints are hit. The big problem is
the wrong values of the pages' fields - all of them equal null or other
default value (eg. the boolean fields equal false). After passing the field
to the method, it's value is read correctly.

I use Tapestry 5.3.7 and Eclipse Neon. The application is run in the
production mode and I have not yet tried the development mode (I have some
configuration problems, probably not connected with Tapestry). Is there any
difference in this case between these two modes?

The project is managed by maven. The maven-compiler-plugin plugin is in
version 3.1 and is configured with settings:
          <debug>true</debug>
          <debuglevel>lines,vars,source</debuglevel>

I think that my problem is connected with this thread:
n5.nabble.com/Debugging-variables-td4296888.html

Re: Remote debugging a Tapestry application

Barry Books-2
I believe you will be able to see the values if you are in development mode.

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017, g kuczera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I wanted to speed up my work and try out the remote debugging from Eclipse.
> It indeed works (I use jetty:run on localhost and then remote debugging
> configuration from Eclipse), the breakpoints are hit. The big problem is
> the wrong values of the pages' fields - all of them equal null or other
> default value (eg. the boolean fields equal false). After passing the field
> to the method, it's value is read correctly.
>
> I use Tapestry 5.3.7 and Eclipse Neon. The application is run in the
> production mode and I have not yet tried the development mode (I have some
> configuration problems, probably not connected with Tapestry). Is there any
> difference in this case between these two modes?
>
> The project is managed by maven. The maven-compiler-plugin plugin is in
> version 3.1 and is configured with settings:
>           <debug>true</debug>
>           <debuglevel>lines,vars,source</debuglevel>
>
> I think that my problem is connected with this three ead:
> n5.nabble.com/Debugging-variables-td4296888.html

RE: Remote debugging a Tapestry application

Ankit Jain
The problem you are talking about is independent of development/production/remotedebugging.
You can use sysout or logger to trace the values as watch will not be able to show you the real value of global objects in the page.

I believe you will be able to see the values if you are in development mode.

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017, g kuczera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I wanted to speed up my work and try out the remote debugging from Eclipse.
> It indeed works (I use jetty:run on localhost and then remote
> debugging configuration from Eclipse), the breakpoints are hit. The
> big problem is the wrong values of the pages' fields - all of them
> equal null or other default value (eg. the boolean fields equal
> false). After passing the field to the method, it's value is read correctly.
>
> I use Tapestry 5.3.7 and Eclipse Neon. The application is run in the
> production mode and I have not yet tried the development mode (I have
> some configuration problems, probably not connected with Tapestry). Is
> there any difference in this case between these two modes?
>
> The project is managed by maven. The maven-compiler-plugin plugin is
> in version 3.1 and is configured with settings:
>           <debug>true</debug>
>           <debuglevel>lines,vars,source</debuglevel>
>
> I think that my problem is connected with this three ead:
> n5.nabble.com/Debugging-variables-td4296888.html

[Aspire Systems]

This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

RE: Remote debugging a Tapestry application

Lance Java
That's incorrect. Tapestry pages / components are byte code transformed
such that properties are stored in PerThreadValue instances. In development
mode tapestry duplicates the values into the bean properties to make
debugging easier.

On 5 Apr 2017 09:30, "Ankit Jain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem you are talking about is independent of development/production/
> remotedebugging.
> You can use sysout or logger to trace the values as watch will not be able
> to show you the real value of global objects in the page.
>
> Note: I am assuming that you are trying to see the value of the global
> variable of the page in the watch dialog.

I still did not manage to run the application in the development mode (had
other work to do, but I know that there is a problem with the absent
hibernate.cfg.xml file).

In the meantime I created the test project and can confirm: debugging the
Tapestry application in the development mode provides the fields' values.

> That's incorrect. Tapestry pages / components are byte code transformed
> such that properties are stored in PerThreadValue instances. In development
> mode tapestry duplicates the values into the bean properties to make
> debugging easier.
>

> On 5 Apr 2017 09:30, "Ankit Jain" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The problem you are talking about is independent of
> development/production/
> > remotedebugging.
> > You can use sysout or logger to trace the values as watch will not be
> able
> > to show you the real value of global objects in the page.
> >
> > Note: I am assuming that you are trying to see the value of the global
> > variable of the page in the watch dialog.

I have managed to start my application in the development mode and I am
able to see the values of the fields. That's a good news for me and my
team.

The only problem which left, is that I cannot see the values of the fields
from the Hibernate's entities (they all equal null, maybe it's the lazy