Future of Tapestry

christophe.foiret
Hi all,

I discover recently Tapestry and it's for me a great Framework but my boss tells me that his end is near ...

and the github https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.git;a=summary has less and less activities

Could you tell me if this Framework will continue to be maintained ? When the next version 5.5 will be delivered ?

If not, what framework could remplace it with same fonctionnalities ? and responsive interface

Vaadin ? Spring boot ? Grails ? ZK ? Others ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Future of Tapestry

Peter Hvass-3
I don't see a good reason why Tapestry should be proclaimed dead so long as
it's kept active!

Many of the more 'modern' alternatives just are not mature enough or ready
for serious, corporate projects yet.

Kind regards,
Peter

On 5 January 2017 at 17:47, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I discover recently Tapestry and it's for me a great Framework but my boss
> tells me that his end is near ...
>
> and the github https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.
> git;a=summary has less and less activities
>
> Could you tell me if this Framework will continue to be maintained ? When
> the next version 5.5 will be delivered ?
>
> If not, what framework could remplace it with same fonctionnalities ? and
> responsive interface
>
> Vaadin ? Spring boot ? Grails ? ZK ? Others ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

Re: Future of Tapestry

Bob Harner
Tapestry is still alive and kicking, but like most (all?) server-side
web frameworks, it is seeing a decline in activity as developers
switch to single-page applications using JavaScript UI frameworks such
as Angular, React and Vue.js. In my opinion Tapestry is still an
excellent choice for apps where you expect to generate at least some
of the pages on the server, and it also provides some benefits for
single-page apps as well.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Peter Hvass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't see a good reason why Tapestry should be proclaimed dead so long as
> it's kept active!
>
> Many of the more 'modern' alternatives just are not mature enough or ready
> for serious, corporate projects yet.
>
> Kind regards,
> Peter
>
> On 5 January 2017 at 17:47, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I discover recently Tapestry and it's for me a great Framework but my boss
>> tells me that his end is near ...
>>
>> and the github https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.
>> git;a=summary has less and less activities
>>
>> Could you tell me if this Framework will continue to be maintained ? When
>> the next version 5.5 will be delivered ?
>>
>> If not, what framework could remplace it with same fonctionnalities ? and
>> responsive interface
>>
>> Vaadin ? Spring boot ? Grails ? ZK ? Others ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

Re: Future of Tapestry

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello!

> I discover recently Tapestry and it's for me a great Framework but my boss
> tells me that his end is near ...

What's the actual scenario? If you're going to write something which isn't
a single-page application in Java,
I think Tapestry is the best option out there.

> and the github https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.
> git;a=summary has less and less activities

Well, it doesn't mean the project is near its end.

1) Software only really dies when no one else is using it or when it's not
available anymore.

2) Open-source software only really dies when the source code is lost.
Tapestry is an Apache Software Foundation project, so its source won't be
lost as long as the Foundation exists, and it's pretty alive and strong.

Anyway, Tapestry 5 is a mature project (it started around 2006, based on
ideas and concepts already used in previous versions), so it got to a state
in which there's not much to be done yet. Important bugs are already fixed,
it already has a solid, battle-tested, very flexible foundation which
allows you to do lots of amazing things with amazing productivity (live
class reloading is awesome and a huge time saver when developing Java
webapps).

The Tapestry team made a conscious decision to avoid creating more
subprojects for more specific stuff. There's no shortage of third-party
modules and integrations for Tapestry (the web framework) and Tapestry-IoC
(the IoC framework, which can be used independently of the web framework).

> Could you tell me if this Framework will continue to be maintained ? When
> the next version 5.5 will be delivered ?

It will continue being maintained. As in almost all other open-source
projects, 5.5 will be released when it's ready to be released.
Do you need any specific features not provided in 5.4?

and responsive interface

Responsive interfaces, IMHO, are more of how you build the frontend,
specially styling with CSS and a little bit of JavaScript, than the
backend. Tapestry is more focused in the backend while still having
frontend stuff.

I also agree with the very insightful points made by Peter and Bob.

Feel free to ask further questions and welcome to the Tapestry mailing
list. :)

Thiago

Re: Future of Tapestry

Stephen Nutbrown
For what it's worth,. I'm a spring boot developer by day, but in my spare
time I've put together a few sites using t5 including a personal wedding
website and socialwage.com and it is nice for these kinds of projects,
which don't require a single page app or an API consumed by mobiles (which
it can do, but I prefer spring for that).

For a web framework I've found it to be fantastic and would use it again in
a heartbeat. It "just works" and I've found very few problems.

On 5 Jan 2017 19:54, "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello!

Thiago

Re: Future of Tapestry

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 5:44 AM, Stephen Nutbrown <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For what it's worth,. I'm a spring boot developer by day,

I've just found https://github.com/code8/tapestry-boot by accident. :P

There's also Bootique.io, which is a framework inspired by Spring Boot and
DropWizard, which I've never used myself (I hadn't have the time to try it
yet), but it does have a Tapestry integration:
https://github.com/bootique/bootique-tapestry. It's built on Guice, and
Guice beans/services are automatically available as Tapestry-IoC services.

but in my spare
> time I've put together a few sites using t5 including a personal wedding
> website and socialwage.com and it is nice for these kinds of projects,

Nice!

--
Thiago